13 replies to this topic

#1 Dewain27

Dewain27

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 129 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

It appears that I might be one of the first to have both the Dell Venue Pro 8 and the Lenovo Miix 2 8.  I bought both and wanted to see which one is better.  So, if this is of interest to you then continue on reading:

So, the best thing to say is that these devices are almost identical from a specs perspective.  There is actually so little difference that I think it is easier to just say what is different.

Processor

There are two models of the processors and you can't tell a difference in the performance or even in the specs, however the Dell has the Atom model Z3740D and the Lenovo has the Z3740 (no D).  This is how Windows is reporting the information. 

The specs for the Z3740 are here: http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-1_86-GHz

The specs for the Z3740D are here: http://ark.intel.com...86-GHz?q=Z3740D

Basically the differences that I see are that the Z3740 has 4GB RAM support and 17.1 GB/s memory bandwidth and the Z3740D has 2GB RAM support and 10.6 GB/s memory bandwidth.  Everything else is the same.  Keep in mind that both devices have only 2 GB of RAM and is not upgradable that I can tell.  So, don't get to caught up on this.

Windows Button

The windows button has different approaches on each of the devices on the Dell it is a button on the top of the device if held in portrait mode and is a physical button.  The Lenovo uses a capacitive windows button on the front of the device at the below the screen at the bottom when in portrait mode.  It is hard to say which is better and I think just comes down to preference.  I can see people who are happy to not have a button that is accidental to hit and the Dell is your best on this, however if you want a quicker way when holding the device landscape or portrait then you may prefer the Lenovo.  I would say that personally I think this is better on the Lenovo.

Other Button and Port Layout

The Dell has the power / micro-USB port at the top of the device while the Lenovo has it more toward the bottom.  I tend to like the placement of the Dell as it provides a better option of holding the device while charging.  Again this is a personal preference.

The Dell then has the power and volume rocker bellow the power / micro-usb port.  Only issue with this is if you have an elbow cable that goes the wrong way, then it might block access to the power button.  The Lenovo has the power and volume rocker at the top and it has no ports that might block it.  I would give this one to Lenovo.

The Micro-SD slot on both the Dell and the Lenovo are hidden by a door below the volume rocker and seem identical in their design.  It is clear that there is room under the door for Micro-SD and a SIM if they decide to have a LTE connection at some point, however this is not an option nor is their a port for a SIM today.

Charging LED

The Dell has a charging light that is next to the port on the side.  The Lenovo has a light on the front that you can see when looking at the unit head on.  I like being able to see that the device is charging from the LED on the front.

Webcam and Camera Placement Specs

The Dell has the 1.2 MP webcam on the front of the device at the top, but pushed over to right side near the buttons.  This was clearly done to keep you from covering the light sensor when holding it landscape.  The Lenovo has the 2 MP webcam centered at the top.  This does mean that your fingers tend to want to cover the camera when holding the device, luckily they did put the ambient light sensor a little more toward the button side of the device to help not to cause it to dim.  I would give this one to the Dell.

The back 5 MP camera on the Dell is located in the middle with a little bit of a hump. Where the Lenovo has a 8 MP camera on the back that is off to the side where the buttons are and has no bump.  I have yet to do a bake off on the camera quality on each, but I can say that the Dell did great for Skype calls.

Speaker Performance / Placement

The Dell has a speaker on the side of the device that would be the bottom if you held the device in portrait mode.  The Lenovo has the speaker on the back of the device a the upper part of the device opposite of the camera.  Doing an audio test the Lenovo is much quitter than the Dell.  The Dell is easily twice as loud playing the same song in my test.  The Dell is the clear winner here.

Case / Look of the Device

The Dell is all black except for the silver buttons and the silver Dell logo on the back.  There are no logos on the front of the device it is just a black slate with a rubberized feel, not cheap feeling.  The Lenovo has logos on the front both Lenovo and Windows for the capacitive start button.  The rest of the device is silver in color some parts are metal, but mostly a plastic that is textured to look like an aluminum finish.  The back of the device has the Lenovo logo shinny on the back and has a boat load of stickers for Windows / Intel / FCC / etc.  The bad thing is that it makes it look like it has flair all over the back.  The good news is you can pull off all the stickers and it would really look clean and professional.  I would probably say that if you want flash then go Lenovo, but the Dell is simple.  Also keep in mind the texture of the device.  The Dell always feels secure in your hands more so than the Lenovo due to the rubbery finish.  I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this one.

Size / Weight

I put this in as it is funny to me that these two devices are so similar in size that it makes you think that they were cousins.  Its like a Ford and Mercury.  They look a little different, but the two are basically the same machine.  I think it funny because I doubt these were developed with any intention of sharing what each were doing, but they came out almost exactly the same size and weight.

Screen Quality

The Dell and the Lenovo have the same resolutions and the specs are all the same on the devices.  The only difference that I can tell is that the color on the Dell is warmer than the Lenovo, but the Lenovo seems just a hair sharper.  The screen on both of these is so good that it is such a toss up that I wouldn't let this be a decision factor. You are going to love the screen on both of these.

Accessories

So, lets be honest.  These devices are brand new and I am sure that more is to come.  Also, the Dell has been out slightly longer than the Lenovo (about a week).  Dell seems to have the edge here currently.  Dell shipped the device with options for a folio case, active digitizer pen, and on Amazon there are already other cases and accessories popping up.  Dell and Lenovo have also shown a Bluetooth keyboard cover that they intend to release.  The Lenovo has a promise for a cover and a rubber tipped stylus for a capacitive touchscreen (which would work on the Dell as well) but these are not shipping yet.  Also a search on Amazon landed me no additional accessories that were offered 3rd party.  I would say that the Dell has this one for now.

Software

The Dell is packaged up like a Microsoft Signature PC.  This means that there is really nothing on it except Windows and Office.  There are a few Dell specific apps, but no bloat-ware.  The Lenovo come packaged up with the Mcafee suite and other items that feel like bloat-ware.  It isn't over the top by any means, but you probably need to plan to uninstall some apps after you get the device. The Dell is the clear winner here and I have to commend Dell for taking this approach.

Overview and Results

Both of the devices are great value and cost the same thing.  It really comes down to simple things like the looks of the device and if one has something you really want.  If you really want the capacitive windows button, stylish design, and better camera; then the Lenovo might be your best choice.  If you really want an understated design, more accessories (for now), and no bloat-ware to uninstall; then the Dell is your choice.  Either way you have a great device that really makes people question why they are paying the money for an iPad mini.  Apps come to ecosystems when devices like this start popping up and get popular.  More tablets like this are what the Microsoft ecosystem need to drive the platform forward.

• KC5ZRQ likes this

Microsoft Store

#2 JoeMiner

JoeMiner

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 72 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Dewain!  Great writeup!

WHS-2011: N54L G7 -|- WHS-2011 (Transitioning): HAF932, X58A-UD3R, I7-930 -|-

Desktop W8.1ProX64: Lian-Li PC-9WX, Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770, 32GB RAM -|- Lab: Gen8 Xeon E3-1265Lv2 w P222/512FBWC -|- Lab: N40L -|-
    HTPC W8.1ProX64WMC: GD05B, Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i5-2500K,16GB RAM -|- Laptop W8.1ProX64WMC: Acer 1810T -|-

2 x WP8.1 Lumia 1020 -|- Toshiba Encore Mini WT7-C16 -|- iPad -|- 2 x iPod

#3 pfinter

pfinter

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 269 posts
    • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

It appears that I might be one of the first to have both the Dell Venue Pro 8 and the Lenovo Miix 2 8.  I bought both and wanted to see which one is better.  So, if this is of interest to you then continue on reading:

So, the best thing to say is that these devices are almost identical from a specs perspective.  There is actually so little difference that I think it is easier to just say what is different.

Processor

There are two models of the processors and you can't tell a difference in the performance or even in the specs, however the Dell has the Atom model Z3740D and the Lenovo has the Z3740 (no D).  This is how Windows is reporting the information. 

The specs for the Z3740 are here: http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-1_86-GHz

The specs for the Z3740D are here: http://ark.intel.com...86-GHz?q=Z3740D

Basically the differences that I see are that the Z3740 has 4GB RAM support and 17.1 GB/s memory bandwidth and the Z3740D has 2GB RAM support and 10.6 GB/s memory bandwidth.  Everything else is the same.  Keep in mind that both devices have only 2 GB of RAM and is not upgradable that I can tell.  So, don't get to caught up on this.

Windows Button

The windows button has different approaches on each of the devices on the Dell it is a button on the top of the device if held in portrait mode and is a physical button.  The Lenovo uses a capacitive windows button on the front of the device at the below the screen at the bottom when in portrait mode.  It is hard to say which is better and I think just comes down to preference.  I can see people who are happy to not have a button that is accidental to hit and the Dell is your best on this, however if you want a quicker way when holding the device landscape or portrait then you may prefer the Lenovo.  I would say that personally I think this is better on the Lenovo.

Other Button and Port Layout

The Dell has the power / micro-USB port at the top of the device while the Lenovo has it more toward the bottom.  I tend to like the placement of the Dell as it provides a better option of holding the device while charging.  Again this is a personal preference.

The Dell then has the power and volume rocker bellow the power / micro-usb port.  Only issue with this is if you have an elbow cable that goes the wrong way, then it might block access to the power button.  The Lenovo has the power and volume rocker at the top and it has no ports that might block it.  I would give this one to Lenovo.

The Micro-SD slot on both the Dell and the Lenovo are hidden by a door below the volume rocker and seem identical in their design.  It is clear that there is room under the door for Micro-SD and a SIM if they decide to have a LTE connection at some point, however this is not an option nor is their a port for a SIM today.

Charging LED

The Dell has a charging light that is next to the port on the side.  The Lenovo has a light on the front that you can see when looking at the unit head on.  I like being able to see that the device is charging from the LED on the front.

Webcam and Camera Placement Specs

The Dell has the 1.2 MP webcam on the front of the device at the top, but pushed over to right side near the buttons.  This was clearly done to keep you from covering the light sensor when holding it landscape.  The Lenovo has the 2 MP webcam centered at the top.  This does mean that your fingers tend to want to cover the camera when holding the device, luckily they did put the ambient light sensor a little more toward the button side of the device to help not to cause it to dim.  I would give this one to the Dell.

The back 5 MP camera on the Dell is located in the middle with a little bit of a hump. Where the Lenovo has a 8 MP camera on the back that is off to the side where the buttons are and has no bump.  I have yet to do a bake off on the camera quality on each, but I can say that the Dell did great for Skype calls.

Speaker Performance / Placement

The Dell has a speaker on the side of the device that would be the bottom if you held the device in portrait mode.  The Lenovo has the speaker on the back of the device a the upper part of the device opposite of the camera.  Doing an audio test the Lenovo is much quitter than the Dell.  The Dell is easily twice as loud playing the same song in my test.  The Dell is the clear winner here.

Case / Look of the Device

The Dell is all black except for the silver buttons and the silver Dell logo on the back.  There are no logos on the front of the device it is just a black slate with a rubberized feel, not cheap feeling.  The Lenovo has logos on the front both Lenovo and Windows for the capacitive start button.  The rest of the device is silver in color some parts are metal, but mostly a plastic that is textured to look like an aluminum finish.  The back of the device has the Lenovo logo shinny on the back and has a boat load of stickers for Windows / Intel / FCC / etc.  The bad thing is that it makes it look like it has flair all over the back.  The good news is you can pull off all the stickers and it would really look clean and professional.  I would probably say that if you want flash then go Lenovo, but the Dell is simple.  Also keep in mind the texture of the device.  The Dell always feels secure in your hands more so than the Lenovo due to the rubbery finish.  I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this one.

Size / Weight

I put this in as it is funny to me that these two devices are so similar in size that it makes you think that they were cousins.  Its like a Ford and Mercury.  They look a little different, but the two are basically the same machine.  I think it funny because I doubt these were developed with any intention of sharing what each were doing, but they came out almost exactly the same size and weight.

Screen Quality

The Dell and the Lenovo have the same resolutions and the specs are all the same on the devices.  The only difference that I can tell is that the color on the Dell is warmer than the Lenovo, but the Lenovo seems just a hair sharper.  The screen on both of these is so good that it is such a toss up that I wouldn't let this be a decision factor. You are going to love the screen on both of these.

Accessories

So, lets be honest.  These devices are brand new and I am sure that more is to come.  Also, the Dell has been out slightly longer than the Lenovo (about a week).  Dell seems to have the edge here currently.  Dell shipped the device with options for a folio case, active digitizer pen, and on Amazon there are already other cases and accessories popping up.  Dell and Lenovo have also shown a Bluetooth keyboard cover that they intend to release.  The Lenovo has a promise for a cover and a rubber tipped stylus for a capacitive touchscreen (which would work on the Dell as well) but these are not shipping yet.  Also a search on Amazon landed me no additional accessories that were offered 3rd party.  I would say that the Dell has this one for now.

Software

The Dell is packaged up like a Microsoft Signature PC.  This means that there is really nothing on it except Windows and Office.  There are a few Dell specific apps, but no bloat-ware.  The Lenovo come packaged up with the Mcafee suite and other items that feel like bloat-ware.  It isn't over the top by any means, but you probably need to plan to uninstall some apps after you get the device. The Dell is the clear winner here and I have to commend Dell for taking this approach.

Overview and Results

Both of the devices are great value and cost the same thing.  It really comes down to simple things like the looks of the device and if one has something you really want.  If you really want the capacitive windows button, stylish design, and better camera; then the Lenovo might be your best choice.  If you really want an understated design, more accessories (for now), and no bloat-ware to uninstall; then the Dell is your choice.  Either way you have a great device that really makes people question why they are paying the money for an iPad mini.  Apps come to ecosystems when devices like this start popping up and get popular.  More tablets like this are what the Microsoft ecosystem need to drive the platform forward.

The best write up I've read so far. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

#4 JohnTW

JohnTW

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 132 posts
    • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Well done. Really solid work!

- JohnTW
    @jwiskowski

#5 HumblePie

HumblePie

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

This is a GREAT write up. Thanks for taking the time. If I could ask a favor, could you run the free app 3DMark from the Windows Store on these and post the results to compare any performance differences between the LPDDR2 and DDR3-RS memory? I'm assuming they will be pretty close but not sure who will get the performance gold... :)

Thanks.

#6 closeloop

closeloop

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Dewain, great review !

By the way, have you got a chance to test WiFi speed and range on both devices ?   My understanding is Dell Venue 8 Pro is using dual band 2x2 MIMO 11n WiFi; while Lenovo Miix2 is using single band 1x1 11n WiFi.    Using a wireless AP/router that has 2x2 11n WiFi would be the best to conduct such test.

#7 Dewain27

Dewain27

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 129 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

This is a GREAT write up. Thanks for taking the time. If I could ask a favor, could you run the free app 3DMark from the Windows Store on these and post the results to compare any performance differences between the LPDDR2 and DDR3-RS memory? I'm assuming they will be pretty close but not sure who will get the performance gold... :)

Thanks.

I will try to do this this week.  Stay tuned.

#8 Dewain27

Dewain27

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 129 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Had the Dell Venue 8 sitting here next to me and ran the 3DMark app and got the results below:

Best Ice Storm Score - Maxed Out

Best Ice Storm Extreme Score - 8786

Best Ice Storm Unlimited Score - 15242

I will get the Lenovo in just a few minutes

#9 zuckerthoben

zuckerthoben

• Members
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Could you do a comparison video including video footage of both frontcameras(1,3MP and 2MP)? Really important for me :)

#10 Dewain27

Dewain27

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 129 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sorry guys... for some reason the 3DMark app was giving me fits trying to download it to my Lenovo.  I am working on it.  As for the video, I have recorded both and will be uploading them to my server soon.  Stay tuned and I will post each.

#11 JohnTW

JohnTW

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 132 posts
    • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Lenovo Miix 2 8 - 3DMarks Scores

Official Site:
    http://shop.lenovo.c...ix-2/#techspecs

Best Ice Storm Extreme Score - 8701

Best Ice Storm Unlimited Score - 15437

- JohnTW
    @jwiskowski

#12 Dewain27

Dewain27

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 129 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Lenovo Mixx 2 8 3D Mark Scores:

Best Ice Storm Extreme Score - 8762

Best Ice Storm Unlimited Score - 15448

#13 KC5ZRQ

KC5ZRQ

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 12 posts
    • LocationTexas

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Dewain, great review !

By the way, have you got a chance to test WiFi speed and range on both devices ?   My understanding is Dell Venue 8 Pro is using dual band 2x2 MIMO 11n WiFi; while Lenovo Miix2 is using single band 1x1 11n WiFi.    Using a wireless AP/router that has 2x2 11n WiFi would be the best to conduct such test.

Hi closeloop.  I have a 50 Mbps internet connection.  Through the wifi the Dell was running about 10-15 Mbps.  I updated the driver, available at support.dell.com.  My wifi throughput increased to 42-45 Mbps!

There is still trouble with the driver.  Sometimes it will drop back to 15 Mbps.  If I go to the device manager and disable the wireless adapter, then re-enable it, then when I reconnect my speed goes back up to 45 Mbps.

#14 Akram

Akram

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Hi, I am planning to get the Dell Venue pro 8 and it is available cheaper than Lenovo Miix 2, also i heard better reviews for Dell than Lenovo. I'm planning to dock the tablet in my car and use navigation maps.

Though i know GPS chip is absent in Dell, is there any way to use Navigation Maps with directions Offline? I've read through internet and i'm concerned about few.

1. There is a GPS over BT app for android that transmits GPS info to the tablet and know the location via Bluetooth COM port of the tablet. If so which App/software can help me navigate with turn by turn directions Offline?

2. I heard about Centrafuse Localizer. What does this do? Just assign a virtual COM Port for the tablet to enable GPS Based apps to determine the in-built chip? - I know this only works with Lenovo Miix 2.

3. Basically i need GPS based Offline Maps to run in my Dell. What is the best solution? Even if i get Lenovo, pls suggest me about a good Navigation software that runs in Win 8.1 pro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, Venue Pro 8, Lenovo, Miiz 2, review, comparison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Microsoft Store
    Skins By Invisioneers