•  

• Microsoft Store
    Photo

Keep Your Surface Rt Or Upgrade To Surface 2?

Upgrade Surface2

• Please log in to reply
    25 replies to this topic

#1 WolfJT

WolfJT

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 208 posts
    • LocationCincinnati, Oh

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

That is the question, to upgrade or stay with RT. Personally I think I'm going to keep my RT but purchase a 10 inch tablet with full blown 8.1. I don't want to spend over a grand for the pro.  I love my RT and I use it everyday, but there are many times I wish I had full blown Windows. As a compatible consumer device I think it is the best out there. Hopefully more enterprise APPs will be released for RT 8.1 because I believe it can be such a great platform. The main limitations I have with RT are VPN, and Citrix receiver, and the go to meeting app is so watered down it's unusable.

How many are going to upgrade???

Microsoft Store

#2 JBresky

JBresky

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 20 posts
    • LocationSouthern Sweden

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I have had a surface about a year now, got it from the US before it was released in here in Sweden. So far I have not felt that limited by the tegra 3 in the things I do. I use office, YouTube RT, IE, Mail, twitter and so on. Hardly any games.

So I'm a bit undecided on an upgrade. What attracts me is the new screen, camera and kickstand. What holds me of is that the RT I have is sufficient and I do not fancy the new silver color.

I think I will see what 8.1 brings and how the RT feels after that before I decide. 

#3 ROZZ

ROZZ

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 39 posts
    • LocationOhio

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

I am very interested to see how much the performance has
    improved on the Surface 2. I’ve been using a Lenovo Yoga 11 RT device since
    March and a Surface RT for about 2 weeks. To me they are both almost perfect
    devices except for that slight lag that you see, especially when opening apps.
    If I were considering upgrading from the Surface RT to the Surface 2, I would
    be inclined to wait until the final release of RT 8.1. I’m crossing my fingers
    that it is a little faster and a lot less buggy.

If you decide you really want full Windows 8 Pro, I would
    look into selling the RT and getting a 1st gen Surface Pro. I consistently
    see them for $650-850 on ebay and cragslist. Usually they include a touch or
    type cover if not more accessories. This way you could keep the form factor you
    love and gain Win8 Pro all while staying clear of the $1,000 mark.

• WolfJT likes this

#4 WolfJT

WolfJT

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 208 posts
    • LocationCincinnati, Oh

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Those are some good options Rozz. I like you am really banking on the final release of 8.1 to bring everything to where it should be. I think RT has great promise. I love the price point and the promise of the productivity one can have on this. I am hoping it will get better. If there was a Cisco anywhere client and if the RT would be able to sync mobile devices running CE.NET and win mobile OS's I wouldn't need a big ole laptop.

#5 schoondog

schoondog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 940 posts
    • LocationCottage Grove MN

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

or keep the RT and buy the Surface 2, because,,,,, I don't know why,,,,,,,

#6 mggm

mggm

• Members
    • Pip
    • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

I have ordered one of the new Type Covers because of the backlighting, but I think I am going to keep the RT.  

#7 WolfJT

WolfJT

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 208 posts
    • LocationCincinnati, Oh

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I love a backlit keyboard for sure. That is very inciting. I could always give my wife the RT. :)

#8 mggm

mggm

• Members
    • Pip
    • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Both of the new covers are compatible with the RT, so all you need is the cover.  But it does make a nice excuse for getting the whole package.  ;)

I want to wait until I've had time with 8.1 before making a decision about the Surface 2.  Right now, the only thing I'm drooling over is one of the backlit covers.  The RT is doing everything I want it to do quite nicely.  

My original plan was to get the RT and hold out for 2nd generation Pro.  As it turned out, I like the RT a lot more than I expected.  At this point I no longer feel a need for a Pro, especially considering the trade-off bulk, weight, and battery life.  When I need to use legacy apps on the Surface (which doesn't happen more than a couple times a week) Remote Desktop or TeamViewer work well enough for my needs.   

But my plans are always subject to revision.  LOL  

#9 ROZZ

ROZZ

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 39 posts
    • LocationOhio

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Some hope for keeping the first gen! There is a Youtube video where a man compares his 1st gen RT (the one he's holding) running 8.1 RTM performance to a video someone made in store of the Surface 2 (the one on the screen in front of him) performance here. It's hard to tell what's going on at first, but the man is performing the same tasks at the same time on his Surface gen 1 as they occur on the screen in front of him. The video of the surface 2 performance he is comparing to is here.

#10 SurfaceGeek

SurfaceGeek

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 586 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

I was thinking about doing that in the store but was afraid of getting booted!

Owner - SurfaceGeeks.net

#11 berty6294

berty6294

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 103 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I'm hoping to get a Surface 2, not sure what I'm going to do with my RT, either sell it or gift it to family.

#12 WolfJT

WolfJT

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 208 posts
    • LocationCincinnati, Oh

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

I think I'm going to keep my RT and wait for Surface 3. I think they will be enabling LTE on the next one. I'm just hoping the real version of RT 8.1 makes this wonderful device even better.

• Campbell likes this

#13 pfinter

pfinter

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 269 posts
    • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

My kids desktop computer recently died, and I was thinking of gifting the RT to the kids (for the good of the family, of course ;) ) and picking up a Surface 2. But, we shall see. I really love my RT and the black case over the new silver color.

Interesting enough, If I do it, I was thinking of dropping down to the 32gb Surface 2 from the 64gb Surface RT.  I Haven't even come close to using up the space on the RT. Everything I store is on Skydrive. I feel more confident that it is backed up and readily accessible anywhere I have access to a browser.

• Campbell likes this

#14 JohnFreiman

JohnFreiman

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

I feel the same way as others, my Surface RT is just fine and the Surface 2 does not appear to add *any* features above and beyond the Surface RT.

I was hoping that it would at least support LTE, NFC or something!  The added speed and better webcam is nice, but nothing to upgrade over - not when 8.1 adds many features on it's own.

But this is the way it should be, buy the hardware and add features with software upgrades.  It's just too bad that the Tegra3 is so slow and prone to overheating - IF the Surface RT was released with a Qualcomm Krait, it would have sold much better (IMO).

For me, I will keep an eye out for the Nokia Windows RT device with LTE - or switch to a device that can play wtv files from WMC.

... or I will buy a backlight touchcover. :P

Edited by JohnFreiman, 13 October 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#15 berty6294

berty6294

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's not a huge upgrade you're right, but I use my Surface RT almost 100 hours a week between school, work, and pleasure so this minor upgrade will play a massive role in my life. A no brainer for me, especially since my Surface is the most important device in my life right now! 

#16 surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 240 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm keeping my RT. I actually haven't gotten much use out of it, except for very light magazine and comic reading. I find the Kindle Fire 8.9 a lot more comfortable to use for these activities.

My Surface Pro is a laboratory for my blog and I expect the Surface Pro 2 will become a primary workstation.

#17 schoondog

schoondog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 940 posts
    • LocationCottage Grove MN

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Personally, I am coming to find that tablets with 4:3 aspect ratios are better for reading magazines, comics, PDF's and books.

• surfaceproartist likes this

#18 mggm

mggm

• Members
    • Pip
    • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I ordered one of the new backlit type covers, and it arrived this morning.  It makes a huge difference.  I had been using a touch cover but went for a type cover this time.  It makes a BIG difference on these aging eyes.  I feel more comfortable typing with the type cover too, even after nearly a year with the touch cover. 

So now I'm very happy with my decision to keep the RT but upgrade the cover.  The backlighting is a really major improvement.

Edited by mggm, 22 October 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#19 JBresky

JBresky

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 20 posts
    • LocationSouthern Sweden

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm probably not going to get a surface 2. I'll save the money for a replacement for my 7year old iMac instead. The surface rt still fulfills all my tablet needs.

#20 WolfJT

WolfJT

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 208 posts
    • LocationCincinnati, Oh

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I went and purchased the Cyan Type cover for my RT. I truly believe 8.1 has made my Surface RT more responsive. So, I'm keeping it until Surface 3 for sure. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Upgrade, Surface2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Microsoft Store
    Skins By Invisioneers