• Please log in to reply
    17 replies to this topic

#1 SurfaceGeek

SurfaceGeek

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

We know all about Surface Pro specs now but we won't be able to get our hands on one until sometime in January. Hmmm. I'm very curious about the battery life of 4 hours. Is this like gas mileage and may "vary" according to use or is this an average? My guess, it's best case scenario.

I'm not surprised as this is just a touch laptop but dang. Only four? I wonder what our reaction would have been at 5 or 6 maybe? Six, no brainer. Five, there still would have been complainers.

Does 4 hours make your mind up?
    Owner - SurfaceGeeks.net

728x90homeservershow

#2 shmuelie

shmuelie

• Writers
    • PipPip
    • 10 posts
    • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I think its less "best case scenario" and more of a "average best case". If a user only used metro aps and really turned down stuff they could maybe get to even the magical 9/10 of RT.
    @Shmuelie
    My blog: http://bgtechrants.blogspot.com/
    A software engineer that likes to push the limits!

#3 Lethbridge

Lethbridge

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 35 posts
    • LocationMilton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Once I heard the batterly life was only about half of the RT, it made me reevaluate if I am going to go with the pro. On the one hand, I rarely take my Surface RT anywhere, so I will always be near a charger, but on the other hand, all it will take is for me to forget to charge it and then I won't be able to use it when I want.
    Before there was no question, I was definitely getting the Pro model, but now I am on the fence.
    I will say that the pricing doesn't bother me at all though, cheaper than what I was expecting.

#4 FinsUpDNC

FinsUpDNC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 161 posts
    • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Most laptop batteries are in the keyboard area, there is no way to get a huge battery and keep the surface size.
    follow me on twitter @FinsUpDNC

#5 SurfaceGeek

SurfaceGeek

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

The teardown of the pro will be interesting.
    Owner - SurfaceGeeks.net

#6 FinsUpDNC

FinsUpDNC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 161 posts
    • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I am looking forward to see how they are cooling it
    follow me on twitter @FinsUpDNC

#7 TabletJunkie

TabletJunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 154 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

I disagree with the notion that people should have to venture to settings to 'turn things down' to conserve battery. The reason that other platforms, i.e. Ipad, have been so successful is because of the synergy between hardware and OS and the great UX that results. IOS for example is so easy and requires no maintenace and the UX is clean, smooth, and easy. Your basic users generally dont feel comfortable in settings, and more importantly they dont have the patience for it. A product should satisfy the user out of the box, not require the user to tinker and make changes to the OS/setttings in order to make the product satisfy them. This is where I am concerned with Windows rt/8 being able to be successful on a major level. Geeks like us have no problem tinkering but we represent 5-10% of the market, the product needs to be geared to the 90% because they can always count on our 10% no matter what and since Android and IOS have the market saturated already, MS has a hell of a fight on thier hands.
    • osquest likes this
    @CommonTek

#8 schoondog

schoondog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 822 posts
    • LocationCottage Grove MN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

I think the 4 hours is based on work load. They generally measure battery life while streaming video or running office benchmarks. I have been very impressed with the standby battery life of the Surface RT. I would like to think the Pro will have good standby battery life, although where I will be using the Pro for work I don't think it will be in standby very often.

#9 SurfaceNerd

SurfaceNerd

Staff, Writer, Moderator

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 221 posts
    • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think the 4 hours is based on work load. They generally measure battery life while streaming video or running office benchmarks. I have been very impressed with the standby battery life of the Surface RT. I would like to think the Pro will have good standby battery life, although where I will be using the Pro for work I don't think it will be in standby very often.

I'm with schoondog with this one. Use it heavy, the battery will be taking a beating. My laptop's battery takes a huge beating when I am using it heavily for "work" purposes.
    Contributing Editor for SurfaceGeeks.net
    Staff Moderator for SurfaceGeeks.net

Delectable Web Bytes: The Surface Nerd
    About Me
    Currently Using: Microsoft Surface RT 64GB with Touch Cover (Black) | Lumia 920 (Black)

#10 R0bR

R0bR

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I think 4 hours is pretty respectable and competative with other ultrabooks on the market considering the i5 and full HD touch screen.

#11 berty6294

berty6294

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 103 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Well yes but the way I see it, if its a tablet it is supposed to be ultra portable! Lugging around a power cable isn't what I would call ultra portable. Imo no tablet should go less then 7 hours (typical work/school day) a charge.

Its such a weird thing to compare cause yes its a full computer but its a tablet. The first of its kind! (that is even worth mentioning).

#12 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 282 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I would kill for a seven hour work day.

I think it is absurd for people to expect it to last as long as a tablet when it is basically a touchscreen laptop.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy, 07 December 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#13 schoondog

schoondog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 822 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

The Surface Pro is blazing a new trail for computing devices.
    We have never had this much compute power in this size package.
    In the next 12 months Intel will release Haswell, less power and more performance.
    There is a good deal of battery design going on as well.
    We are still in the earlier adopter mode.

#14 daveharruk

daveharruk

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Given the characteristics of similar devices and the size of battery in Pro, I don't think there is much chance that it could get 9 or 10 hours of battery life; I would expect at least 4 hours of typical use, possibly up to 6 with light use. It's possible that the default power settings could be to be aggressively save power which could maybe give an extra hour. If it could have hit six hours of typical use (2/3 or so of RT), I'd have been happy with that as a compromise - but they've seemingly left it a little short of power apparently to hit a weight target similar to other tablets and I'd guess they will also excuse this by it being quick to charge. For me, Clovertrail would be ideal for Surface but to ignore that in a first generation device was with hindsight a very smart move when we see the delays there have been (really, assuming similar availability, from what I've heard of Clovertrail, unless RT is significantly cheaper, I can't see why anyone would want RT). Anyway, I've taken the plunge and ordered the W700/i5/128GB, so unless this is significantly delayed, Surface Pro is looking unlikely for me. Still, time will tell, there's no guarantee with any device that nobody's even seen yet.

#15 berty6294

berty6294

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 103 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Well RT is thinner, lighter, longer battery life, no fans, no vents, and cheaper. At the moment it doesn't do everything 8 does, but it will not take long for important apps to appear in the app store. Soon it will do everything that 8 can do with the exception of things like PhotoShop. But honestly (may just be me) who wants to do something like that on a tablet? That is a desk kind of job, something I would want to sit down with a few monitors, mouse, and keyboard.

If you already have a base desktop device, I truly stand by the fact that the Surface RT is a much better companion device than the Surface Pro!

#16 wltklah

wltklah

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

4hrs of battery life on surface pro is totally reasonable and normal. Just ask yourself you need an ipad replacement or laptop replacement. ipad replacement go for RT otherwise Pro. Both product segments can't replace each other at this moment mainly due to battery/power management technology and UX design of apps.

#17 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 282 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Lenovo makes a pro with longer battery life. I think it was 7.5 hours and it can undock from the keyboard.

#18 schoondog

schoondog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
    • 822 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

The Lynx from Lenovo splits, but it is a Atom based system running Win 8 Std. It is rated at 8 hours, with an additional 8 hours from the battery in the keyboard. The Samsung ATIV 700, Acer W700 and Asus Transformer are similar, but larger than the Surface Pro and are showing much longer battery life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surface, pro, battery, life, hours

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Microsoft Store
    Skins By Invisioneers